Back to school is a time to reboot, a fresh start for everyone—even if you don't have kids. Pinners are looking for ideas that are easy, affordable and a reflection of their personality. From primary school to post-grad, we’re breaking down the top 39 trends for both kids and adults. Meet the new best in class...
Primary school: Easy as 1, 2, 3
In August, everyone’s deep in the lazy days of summer, then BAM! It’s back to school. There’s no magic reset button, but there are a few tricks to make it a little more easy (and fun!).
– Pick their outfits for the week (+47%) and organise them with a hanging organiser, plastic bins or hanger tags.
– Keep the kid’s clutter from taking over with a designated drop zone (+48%).
– Story starters (+121%) don't have to be reserved for long road trips. They’re also short, fun ways to get their minds warmed up for class.
– Hate cutting off sandwich crusts? Then you’ll love lunch kebabs (+67%)—and so will they.
University: Freshers week cheats
Dorm rooms are small, impersonal and ill-equipped for cooking, but it doesn’t have to stay that way. The right dorm decor can add style and personality, and food tricks for the kitchenless. Here are a few faves from our back-to-school freshers week cheat sheet...
– Share a favourite quote, hashtag or message on a felt letter sign (+42%).
– Removable decor like temporary wallpaper (+344%) and washi tape are easy, non-permanent style hacks.
– You don't need green fingers to add greenery to your space. There are dozens of hard-to-kill houseplants (+111%).
– Easy one pot recipes (+960%) are no-brainers for students who don't have access to a kitchen and want healthy, fast food.
Work: The non-negotiables
Remember the thrill of buying new outfits and school supplies for school? This is the grown-up version.
– Millennial pink (+100%) is everywhere. For those 9-to-5 days, a tailored dress is a smart choice for the office.
– Paper bags aren’t just for lunch. Paper bag trousers (+682%) and skirts are unexpected looks that make stylish work-to-drinks pieces.
– Not only do Himalayan salt lamps (+148%) have a pretty glow, but some say they clean the air and counteract electromagnetic radiation.
– The perfectly portioned bento box (+90%) is an easy way to pre-pack lunch.
– A happy planner (+574%) is not your average planner. It's a cheerleader, personal assistant and best friend.
– PopSockets (+3920%) are the do-it-all tech accessory that act as a phone grip, media stand, cord wrap and more—you can even hang jewellery on it.
Explore these ideas on the Pinterest UK Back to Reality board
—Kate Allchin, UK Content & Community Manager, currently saving ideas to Tiny Houses